Wednesday, September 10, 2014

3 Dimensional Creativity

Have you heard of 3 Dimensional crafting? Maybe not because I'm not sure that's even what it's called.  I think it's just what I call it because I really don't know what it's called.  It's when you take chipboard and make things with it, anything really. Well not drinking glasses because chipboard isn't water proof but pretty much anything your imagination can come up with (and that you can contort the chipboard into making).  Top names in the business that are doing this and selling their tutorials are Laura Denison, The Gentleman Crafter and Tim Holtz.

I got started making things from chipboard after I went to a crop and saw a woman there (now a dear friend of mine) making something that wasn't a scrapbook.  Isn't a crop where we make scrapbook pages and cards?  Not anymore.  Everyone at the crop were fascinated by what she was making. It was a little store front with an awning and a bay window which she put miniatures in to make a store display window.  I stopped what I was doing, not that I was doing much since I mainly just look through all my stuff at crops and talk (yes, I do tend to talk ....a lot), and asked my friend what she was making, how did she discover this craft, how can I start doing it and where can I find tutorials.  I wanted all the information and I wanted it immediately.  I had found my next passion.

Scrapbooking and card making had taken a back seat to life for the past few years. I would got to crops and fiddle diddle around with stuff, perhaps making a few pages for a mini album but nothing to write home about.  But when I saw what my friend was creating I left the crop that weekend, ordered chipboard and double sided adhesive and black cardstock and waited eagerly for it all to arrive so I could make something.  They aren't as fabulous as my friend's creations but I tried.




I find with paper it's hard to store it on a shelf because when I want to pull a piece out that's not right on top i end up pulling the whole stack off the shelf.  So, I made a paper holder that will allow me to see all the colors easily and pull out one piece quickly.  The side storage area holds quite a bit of stuff.  In the top vertical pieces I store my pop dots and glue dots.  In the little box in between those I can put my glue bottles, glitter or random small trinkets. In the bottom cubbie I store some brads that are pushed into little foam squares. I was really pleased with how this turned out.

Tomorrow I'll post a couple more things I've made, including a glue stand and a Halloween themed storage unit.

Keep creating!!
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment